COMOX VALLEY WATER WATCH COALITION
The CVWWC is a newly organized entity that will work as a part of an island-wide effort to develop and carry out policy and program initiatives on the local, Vancouver Island, and provincial levels. Currently, the CVWWC is working to ensure that all groups and individuals interested maintaining and improving the local Comox Valley watersheds and water sources have the opportunity to participate.
1. To evaluate the status of local watersheds and to build a regional watershed management plan that ensures long-term sustainable access to clean water for all.
2.To ensure citizen control over water supplies so that the public has the ability to implement the management plan. With privatization an increasing threat public entities must do a better job of water stewardship. Access to clean water is a human right - not a privilege!
3. To increase the development of water conservation programs, for example, would water metering reduce water consumption?
4. To develop and support legislation on the local, provincial, and federal levels that will protect, maintain, and improve water sources. For example, if a Bill is introduced in Ottawa for a National Water Policy, we would give feedback and lend support if appropriate.
5. To create new initiatives in public education and water with a particular focus on school programs and a water conference.
6. To create and implement provincial and national water policies